Tuesday, October 20, 2009

How to Pick a Profitable Forex Trading System

In the beginning of my trading career I was jumping from one trading system to another as soon as it gave me a few failing trades. I think it's a common thing among beginner traders to change system without even testing it.

Oftentimes I can hear traders argue which system is better or which trading style is more profitable. I believe that it all depends on trader's personality. One has a greater emotional control so he can sit and continuously monitor his trade. Some type of short-term trading strategy will suit him the best. Another trader is more patient. He can wait for his trade to mature for a few days. For this trader long-term trading systems are more relevant.

It is surprising to see that even very successful traders do not realize that a trading style must suit a personal trait of the trader to make him successful. Usually traders advocate their own trading style or system. Anyone who wants to become a successful trader needs to study himself before studying the market to know what is best for him.

Personally I dislike short -term trading suchlike scalping. Besides that it's emotionally challenging for me to watch continuous fluctuation of the market, there is another reason I don't practice scalping.

Scalping is a trading style that targets very few pips per trade. Therefore to make a significant profit one needs to make several trades a day. Brokers nowadays do not charge commissions for trades, but there is a spread. The more trades you execute the more pips in spread you lose. Let's say you scalping a currency pair that has 3 pips spread and you need to make 10 trades a day. By doing so you are already 30 pips behind. It will add up into 150 pips in a week.

A long term trading strategy on the other hand usually targets quite a large profit for a single trade. This style of trading suits me the best. I can analyze the market, set a trade and keep coming back to see how it evolves. No emotional overreaction. No huge number of trades to lose spreads on.

I don't mean to put down any trading style. What I mean is that you are the one who needs to choose what trading style suits you the best. Once you find that out buy studying yourself then success in trading will come easy to you.

1 comment:

  1. I got to learn very helpful updates from trading point of view here. For best returns always try to keep yourself well updated with market. For daily reports on stock market contact epic research .

    ReplyDelete